Position: State Consultant-PCPNDT
No. of Vacancy: 1
Reporting Line: Program Manager (Technical)
Duration: 7 months
About the Project:
The “Systems Strengthening for Addressing Gender Based Violence for Creating a Women Friendly Ecosystem” project, supported by UNFPA, aims to enhance government department systems for decision-making and responsive action on GBV. The project’s goal is to reduce the number of GBV cases in intensive geographies (measured through mid-line) and across the state. Over a period of three years, the project will also integrate MIS systems within the WCDC department for state-level report collation and evidence generation on GBV cases and responsive action. Furthermore, the project seeks to improve the capacities of women police, doctors, and judiciaries in delivering services to GBV victims, as measured by assessments during sensitization sessions.
The project objectives are to collaborate with various government departments to strengthen their response mechanisms against GBV. This will be accomplished by promoting the effective implementation of laws through GBVIMS, reviewing existing policies for GBV, and utilizing GBSS through the concerted efforts of various government bodies.
The project will focus on the following areas:
1. Strengthening the implementation of the Women’s Empowerment Policy
2. Enhancing the enforcement of the Prevention of Sexual Harassment (POSH) Act
3. Improving enforcement of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act
4. Enhancing the functionality of One-Stop Centers
5. Facilitating the creation of Women-Friendly Panchayats (which are free from child marriage).
State Consultant-GBV, will be responsible for monitoring the implementation of a project aimed at enhancing the government’s response mechanisms and systems for Gender-Based Violence and Harmful Practices against women and girls in Bihar, India. The Consultant will focus on the improvement of the implementation of laws, such as the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA) and the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act (PC-PNDT Act). The Consultant- Gender will work closely with Govt. department, service providers and stakeholders to build their capacity and ensure successful implementation. Overall, the Consultant- Gender will play a crucial role in the successful implementation of the project, with a particular focus on improving government response to gender-based violence and harmful practices.
a. Programmatic duties
1. Establishing a strategic interface with key government stakeholders and project personnel from UNFPA and PCI.
2. Cultivate strong and positive relationships primarily through government and non-governmental organizations, ensuring that the project promotes an environment that supports its long-term sustainability.
3. Undertake a rapid assessment of the implementation of the PCPNDT Act, with a focus on the constitution & functioning of district statutory bodies like advisory committees.
4. Focus on the improvement of the implementation of laws, such as the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA) and the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act (PC-PNDT Act).
5. Facilitation orientation of 38 district magistrates and 38 civil surgeons on PCPNDT as they are the key stakeholders at the district level for overseeing and decision-making on any criminal offenses pertaining to this.
6. Strengthening of existing MIS of PC & PNDT through training and handhold support wherever needed.
7. Foster open communication and positive working relationships with state-level government stakeholders, UNFPA, and other key actors, such as NGOs and civil society organizations.
1. Facilitating and ensuring regular support to govt departments to strengthen implementation of PCPNDT act.
2. Take responsibility for ensuring the final project deliverables are completed with high quality and within the agreed timeline.
3. Preparing update presentations for relevant stakeholders and the dissemination of final report for submission to donor.
1. Review of all govt guidelines, documentation and policies with regular updates related to acts like PCPNDT.
2. Documentation and regular reporting of all project activities.
3. Regular activity reports and process summary documentation to be provided.
4. Support in the process of learning, concurrent monitoring, identifying, and capturing voices of champions and beneficiaries, knowledge management and documentation of best practices.
d. Other responsibilities
1. To carry out any other relevant duties as required.
Post-graduate degree or diploma in management, with a preference for rural management, or a master’s degree in gender or women’s studies related to empowerment and holistic development from reputable institutions.
The ideal candidate should have minimum 8 years of experience in working with government and international donors and expertise in gender projects & developing capacity building products.
Skills and Attributes:
1. Knowledge and experience of gender projects and data management tools
2. Excellent training skills
3. Leadership capabilities & people management skills
4. Good analytical and problem-solving skills
5. Excellent oral and written command in English and Hindi
Interested Candidates can apply for the position of State Consultant-PCPNDT by 26th June,2023.
PCI India is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability and/or marital status.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply