Position: Program Manager- Livelihoods & Enterprise Development (BUPGP)
Reporting Line: Program Management Unit-Lead (BUPGP)
Number of Positions: 1
Duration – One Year
About the Project:
Similar to the Satat Jeevikoparjan Yojana (SJY) program in rural Bihar, there is a felt need for a graduation focused program in urban areas of Bihar for the urban ultra poor. Project Concern International, under the aegis of BRAC India, would therefore, work towards poverty alleviation of urban ultra poor, in two urban wards of the two districts Gaya & Patna. The Bihar Urban Poor Graduation Program (BUPGP) is envisaged to build on the knowledge of SJY program and partner with key stakeholders in urban Bihar to pilot this Graduation program in an urban context. The BUPGP would be piloted from July 2023 to March 2024 in the aforementioned geographies. The BUPGP is envisaged to have four pillars ; (1) facilitating social protection to support basic income security and immediate needs, such as food consumption support, crisis relief, and access to health, and education; (2) livelihoods promotion consisting of an asset transfer and/or skills training, or cash transfer, to manage the asset or access (self)employment opportunities; (3) financial inclusion to ensure direct access to convenient, formal or informal financial services, accompanied with financial literacy training; and (4) social empowerment through regular check-ins with Graduation coaches and life- skills support that build confidence and resilience. To successfully execute, the above-mentioned program, PCI would embed a team of 5 officials under Bihar Skill Development Mission (BSDM) to set up a program management unit (PMU). The farsighted approach of the program is to enable co-designing and implementing of program in close coordination with government department for attaining programs sustainability. For this the PMU, shall closely work with the following government departments; BSDM, the State Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM), the Urban Development and Housing Department (UDHD), and JEEViKA for converging efforts of multiple departments towards the program. Over the period, the program is expected to develop urban graduation coaches, enable access to government entitlements for the program participants, build an urban graduation ecosystem, establish linkages for financial inclusion through leveraging government programs, develop IEC & capacity building products along with robust MIS, for systemic program adoption and upscaling.
The Program Manager – Livelihoods & Enterprise development for BUPGP would be responsible for leading and managing the implementation of livelihoods and enterprise development component within the urban graduation program for poverty alleviation of urban ultra-poor. S/he would play a critical role in designing and executing interventions aimed at empowering vulnerable populations and enabling them to transition out of extreme poverty through sustainable income-generating activities. The Program Manager is expected to collaborate with government and civil society, coordinate program activities, ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of the program. Furthermore, the professional is expected to work under the supervision of PMU-lead and take up any responsibility as assigned by her/him.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
A. Lead enterprise, livelihoods development & adoption (60%)
• Conduct thorough assessments of the target population’s needs, skills, and market opportunities to inform program design.
• Identify and develop relevant livelihoods training modules, technical assistance, and capacity-building initiatives.
• Design and implement interventions that support sustainable income generation and entrepreneurship for vulnerable populations.
• Support the implementation of livelihoods and enterprise development component with the BUPGP. Facilitate the establishment and growth of micro-enterprises and cooperatives among program participants.
• Coordinate with government partners, program staff and program participants to deliver program activities effectively and efficiently.
• Foster linkages with local markets, value chains, and business networks to enhance program participants’ access to economic opportunities.
• Facilitate management of program resources, including budget allocation for asset distribution, procurement, and financial tracking by government partners.
• Provide guidance and support to field staff and partners involved in livelihoods generation of urban ultra poor.
• Regularly undertake field visits and handhold program participants for guiding them throughout the pilot.
B. Support Program Planning & Management (25%)
• Support in development and refinement of program strategies, goals, and objectives to address the needs of the urban ultra poor population.
• Support collaboration with key stakeholders to identify program priorities and ensure alignment with organizational objectives.
• Support in designing and implementation of a comprehensive program management framework.
• Support the design and structuring of all major knowledge products (including reports, Lessons Learnt Documents, workshop reports, etc.)
• Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning for scale up.
• Support in developing the MIS dashboard in consultation with the government partners for continuous project monitoring & assessment.
• Support PMU lead in strategic interface with the key government stakeholders & personnel of the project on a day-to-day basis.
C. Reporting & Documentation (5%)
• Submit the progress reports to and attend meetings with the donor representatives under the supervision of PMU Lead
D . Other responsibilities (10%)
• To carry out any other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
• Minimum Post-graduate/Master’s degree preferably in marketing/enterprise promotion/development studies from premier institutes.
• The ideal candidate should have minimum 5 years of experience in Livelihoods promotion, capacity building, working with government , project management, and with significant experience of working on large scale development programs.
Skills & Attributes:
• Extensive skills and experience related to market assessment, developing micro enterprises, and skills development.
• Extensive experience in capacity building.
• Knowledge of ultra poor projects.
• Knowledge of large-scale women empowerment program.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral and written command in English & Hindi.
• Sound knowledge of database systems, and PowerPoint
Interested candidates can apply for the position Program Manager- Livelihoods & Enterprise Development- BUPGP by 16th June 2023.
PCI India is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, and/or marital status. Due to the heavy inflow of resumes, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.