Position Title: Program Manager-Human Resource Systems
No of Position: 1
Reporting Line: Director-Strategic Partnerships & Systems
Duration : 2 years (starting from October 2023)
About the Project:
Mission Karmayogi – the National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB), is designed to enhance and establish efficient governance through civil service capacity building. The aim of the Government is to prepare the Indian civil service for the future by ensuring that officials have the tools to be more innovative, proactive, professional, progressive, enabling and transparent.
Many initiatives are being taken under NPCSCB to create a competent civil service cadre that is rooted in Indian ethos, possesses a shared understanding of India’s priorities and works harmoniously for effective and efficient public service delivery. Mission Karmayogi has been operationalised through the iGOT (Integrated Government Online Training) Karmayogi platform.
The Framework of Roles, Activities and Competencies (FRAC), as termed within Mission Karmayogi’s iGOT platform, shapes the guiding principle comprising mapping of three constructs (roles, activities and competencies, supported by knowledge resources) for each individual position within all government ministries, departments, and organisations (MDOs) at the national, state and local level. Ensuring last-mile excellence is a key component of the capacity building initiatives envisioned under NPCSCB.
With large-scale development programmes like National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) being implemented by the Government, capacity building of the front-line workers and the facilitators engaged for delivering schemes and services assumes significance in the context of the goals of Mission Karmayogi. JEEViKA, India’s largest state level women’s socio-economic empowerment program, working directly with over 10 million (1 crore) families in rural Bihar has defined its vision 2030 for improving service delivery and ensuring meaningful livelihoods. A key part of this vision is the enhancement of JEEViKA’s organizational capacities.
To enable and support the attainment of the vision, a Goal-oriented Human Resource Management (GO-HRM) system is envisaged to be operationalised within JEEViKA with the support of external HR & technical agencies. A goal-oriented human resource management system will allow department to link their goals with well-defined targets for teams and individuals, map competencies required to fulfill these targets, and link capacity to performance management.
To support this effort, PCI under its systems strengthening strategies is extending technical support to JEEViKA in operationalising the entire process of GO-HRM’. The individual hired for the position of Program Manager – Human Resource Management Technologies, with responsibilities and qualifications as described in this job description, will support PCI’s work as part of this initiative.
The Program Manager – Human Resource Systems is expected to play a dynamic role in facilitating JEEViKA, in operationalizing the Goal Oriented Human Resource Management (GO-HRM) systems. The Program Manager – Human Resource Systems shall be responsible for coordination and successful implementation of the envisaged GO-HRM, in collaboration with JEEViKA. This will require the Program Manager to oversee the implementation of the 3 foundational components of GO-HRM, namely:
1. Setting goals and targets for department and its employees;
2. Competency mapping of positions and development of competency building products; and
3. Linking capacity to performance management through system linkages and measuring the
effectiveness of GO-HRM.
The hired individual will be expected to engage with external agencies to manage and channelize the efforts towards operationalizing the above mentioned components. They will be required to ensure integration of their inputs and also those collated from JEEViKA are placed into the overall strategy, systems, and processes of GO-HRM.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
a. Program planning, facilitation & Management:
• Collaborate with HR leadership at JEEViKA & sketch the roadmap to conceptualize, prioritize, operationalize goal oriented human resource management in JEEViKA.
• Facilitate on-boarding and briefing of agencies on the concepts of GO-HRM, FRAC, etc., and align them with the expectations and requirements of JEEViKA.
• Develop an action plan for the external agencies to work in JEEViKA for completing the envisaged task within the timeframe, and provide technical inputs and reviews on the deliverables prepared by the agency.
• Facilitate data collation and provisioning between JEEViKA and the external agency.
• Provide technical inputs to finalize methodology and tools for GO-HRM.
• Provide regular guidance to the agencies for avoiding derailers and delays in successful implementation.
• Facilitate the external agency in designing and developing comprehensive training programs that cater to various levels of professionals, from entry-level to leadership positions.
• Integrate best practices, industry trends and innovative methodologies into the GO-HRM process and facilitate its development as an exemplar model of human resource management for government departments.
• Provide inputs into the development and interlinking of systems like E-HRMS (Human Resource Management Systems) and COMPASS (Competency based Open-source Management Platform for Assessing Skills and Success), as required.
• Facilitate smooth collaboration and knowledge transfer between the external agencies such that outputs produced by them are available for onboarding onto relevant platforms, discussing during review meetings, etc.
• Support the external agency in undertaking consultative meetings with officials at all levels for executing the FRAC-ing process.
• Facilitate the analysis of assessment results to inform JEEViKA officials regarding the emerging requirements for smooth functioning of JEEViKA.
• Ensure that the GO-HRM system is seamlessly integrated into the broader HR strategy of JEEViKA, including performance management, talent acquisition and workforce planning.
b. Stakeholder Management:
• Ensure smooth collaboration with officials within JEEViKA and maintain cordial relationships at all times during the program.
• Provide inputs to the JEEViKA leadership in identifying bottlenecks, benchmarking and adapting frameworks in the areas of Human Resource Management System, Learning & Development, Performance Management and aligning governance processes to the overall objectives of JEEViKA.
• Collaborate with subject matter experts within JEEViKA to develop GO-HRM systems & capacity building materials which reflects the organizations current policies, procedures and goals.
• Conduct secondary/primary research as necessary and draft policy notes to support JEEViKA to publish relevant policies, guidelines and operationalize them to achieve high competence and performance.
• Maintain a positive and inclusive environment that encourages active participation and knowledge sharing during the entire program tenure among the stakeholders.
• Collect feedback on a regular basis from JEEViKA officials and provide the same to the external agency for efficient program functioning.
c. Monitoring & Knowledge Collation:
• Implement mechanisms to monitor the effectiveness of competence-building programs and make necessary adjustments for continuous improvement.
• Provide regular programmatic updates to the JEEViKA senior management through review meetings and other appropriate platforms.
• Capture knowledge, gather insights all throughout the project tenure and prepare a knowledge book and/or whitepaper for knowledge dissemination across the globe.
• Lead and conduct a knowledge dissemination workshop at the end of the program.
d. Donor management and compliance
• Submit the progress reports and attend briefing meetings and discussions with the donor representatives under the supervision of Director-Strategic Partnerships & Systems.
• Assume accountability for the quality and timely completion of final deliverables.
• Lead the donor-facing presentation and high-level dissemination of all final products.
e. Other responsibilities
• To carry out any other relevant duties as required.
This job description is intended to provide a general overview of the position and may not cover every aspect of the role. Additional responsibilities and duties may be assigned as needed to support organizational goals.
Qualifications & Experience:
a. Academic Qualifications:
The ideal candidate shall have a MBA/PGDM in Human Resource Management or Operations & Strategy from tier-1 institutes.
b. Professional Experience:
The ideal candidate should:
1. Have a minimum 3 years of experience in human resource management, HR development, and talent management.
2. Have the experience of working in at least 2 projects with similar scope (organization development / learning and development / performance management) either in the private sector or Government.
Applicants with experience of working with governments (at least 1 project) on similar scope (organization development / learning and development / performance management), in the capacity of a program/project manager, will be given preference.
c. Skills and Attributes:
• Strong knowledge of HR practices, competence development, and performance management.
• Knowledge and familiarity in implementing approaches and methodologies for competency analysis and organizational development.
• Proficiency in learning management systems and e-learning platforms, as well as associated change management approaches.
• Strong leadership capabilities & people management skills.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral and written command in English & Hindi.
• Sound knowledge of database systems and the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Familiarity with government styles of working – including their systems of communication, reporting, and execution.
Interested Candidates can apply for the position of Program Manager-Human Resource Systems by 13th November 2023.
PCI India is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability and/or marital status
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.