Position: Consultant Urban Satat Jeevikoparjan Yojana (SJY)
Reporting Line: Director – Strategic Partnerships & Systems
Number of Positions: 1
Duration: 100 days starting from October 2024 till 14th June 2024 (possibility of extension based on performance and project needs)
About the Project:
Similar to the Satat Jeevikoparjan Yojana (SJY) program in rural Bihar, there is a felt need for a graduation focused program in urban areas of Bihar for the urban ultra poor. PCI India, under the aegis of BRAC India, would therefore, work towards poverty alleviation of urban ultra poor, in two urban wards of the two districts Gaya & Patna. The Bihar Urban Poor Graduation Program (BUPGP) is envisaged to build on the knowledge of SJY program and partner with key stakeholders in urban Bihar to pilot this Graduation program in an urban context. The BUPGP would be piloted from July 2023 to June 2024 in the aforementioned geographies. The BUPGP is envisaged to have four pillars ; (1) facilitating social protection to support basic income security and immediate needs, such as food consumption support, crisis relief, and access to health, and education; (2) livelihoods promotion consisting of an asset transfer and/or skills training, or cash transfer, to manage the asset or access (self)employment opportunities; (3) financial inclusion to ensure direct access to convenient, formal or informal financial services, accompanied with financial literacy training; and (4) social empowerment through regular check-ins with Graduation coaches and life- skills support that build confidence and resilience. To successfully execute, the above-mentioned program, PCI would embed a team of 5 officials under Bihar Skill Development Mission (BSDM) to set up a program management unit (PMU). The farsighted approach of the program is to enable co-designing and implementing of program in close coordination with government department for attaining programs sustainability. For this the PMU, shall closely work with the following government departments; BSDM, the State Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM), the Urban Development and Housing Department (UDHD), and JEEViKA for converging efforts of multiple departments towards the program. Over the period, the program is expected to develop urban graduation coaches, enable access to government entitlements for the program participants, build an urban graduation ecosystem, establish linkages for financial inclusion through leveraging government programs, develop IEC & capacity building products along with robust MIS, for systemic program adoption and upscaling.
The Consultant will support the BRLPS, BRAC, and other stakeholders in the design and implementation of the SJY-Urban program, by providing technical and management support in the areas of urban livelihoods and poverty reduction. He/she will be providing specialized technical support on community institutions and livelihood promotion initiatives for the SJY-Urban in design, systems development, and implementation. The Consultant will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer of BRLPS and the JEEVIKA team, and BRAC’s India Country Lead, the Project Management Unit (PMU)
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
● Provide advisory services, and technical assistance around urban poverty and livelihoods to BRLPS, BRAC, and other stakeholders, ranging from government agencies, NGOs, and partners.
● Co-develop and co-design strategic framework and action plan for the SJY-Urban program, including clear objectives, strategies, and implementation guidelines.
● Provide technical and managerial support to the BRLPS on the execution of the SJY-Urban program.
● Provide specialized technical support on building skills of participants to enable access to growing market-based job opportunities offered by emerging urban economies.
● Design training and capacity-building modules for the staff and participants on Social Mobilisation, Livelihood Promotion, and Skill Development activities in Urban areas.
● Quick assessments of urban livelihoods and skill development programs for the ultra-poor.
● Monitor the outlined strategic approaches and program implementation and recommend any course corrections regularly.
● Author communication material, synthesize field reports, MIS (monitoring and information system) reports, meeting summaries, and research material.
● Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation to achieve the program’s goals of safeguarding implementation.
● Practice, promote, and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
● Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, and encourage others to do so.
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Advanced degree in relevant fields such as Urban Development, Public Policy, Governance, Development Studies, Social Work, or a related discipline.
- Atleast 7 years of experience in Social Mobilisation, Livelihood Promotion, and Skill Development activities of the poor.
- Experience working at a managerial or technical advisory level at NULM-SULM/NRLM-SRLM is essential.
- Experience in managing state and national-level large-scale Poverty Alleviation/ Livelihoods program/s will be given preference.
- Deep understanding of the socio-economic dynamics and challenges related to urban poverty in India, including familiarity with relevant policies, programs, and initiatives.
- Familiarity with development project implementation at the Indian central or state level.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to conduct comprehensive assessments, analyze data, and provide evidence-based recommendations.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing strategies for poverty alleviation, including livelihood enhancement, social protection, and community empowerment.
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders, including government agencies, international organizations, NGOs, and community groups.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in urban poverty alleviation, including innovative approaches and technologies.
Skills & Attributes:
• Experience organizing technical events and meetings, generating technical content in written form and presentations.
• Diplomatic, with strong interpersonal skills, and cultural sensitivity, ability to keep information confidential.
• Knowledge and experience of ultra poor projects.
• Knowledge of large-scale women empowerment program.
• Familiarity with approaches and methodologies for gender analysis and gender-responsive program design and implementation.
• Strong leadership capabilities & people management skills.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
Interested candidates can apply for the position of Consultant – Urban SJY by 10th October 2023
PCI India is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, and/or marital status. Due to the heavy inflow of resumes, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.