Position Title: Consultant (TA to RDD)
No of Position: 01
Reporting Line: Senior Program Manager- TA to RDD
Location: Patna -Bihar (Consultant will be required to travel to field as per need)
Duration: 5 months
Simplified presentation of Permissible Works under MGNREGS as per local needs for enhanced synergy between the public employment scheme and livelihoods; and to help communities and frontline officials understand it better for effective identification and planning for work and developing Shelf of Projects reflecting priorities of the community.
Duration of Assignment:
The estimated time for the study is 5 months covering two phases of work. The first phase of the assignment will be of 3 months duration.
The time duration may be extended based on need/ requirement during the implementation of the study. The assignment is expected to begin by August 15, 2022.
- The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) passed by Indian Parliament in year 2005 is a legislation that guarantees wage employment on rural public works to any adult who is willing do unskilled manual work, subject to a limit of 100 days per household per financial year.
- The Schedule – I of the Act provide list of permissible works categorized under 4 parts. Based on the various works mentioned in the Schedule, the Management Information System (MIS) has listed 45 categories of works covering 262 types of works permissible under the Program. Out of 262 combinations of works which are permissible under MGNREGA, 182 works are related to Natural Resource Management of which 85 are water related works, 164 works are related to agriculture and allied activities.
- The MIS has been enabled to generate complete description of each possible work in terms of various combinations of above-mentioned categories within the framework permissible works as per provisions of the Schedule-I.
- All activities must i) ensure that a minimum of 60% of the work is done through unskilled manual labour, ii) contribute to rural development, and iii) not be required on a recurring basis.
- The involvement of community in planning, execution, management, and monitoring of MGNREGS is an inseparable part of the scheme. Gram Panchayats are the pivotal body for implementation of MGNREGS.
- It has been observed that there is a scope of improvement in proper planning and economical execution of MGNREGS work, which has led to non-completion of many works at state level. It was also observed that (target) community understanding on possibility of convergence of schemes under MGNREGS with other rural development schemes lacking. The simplified presentation of Permissible Works with description will provide rural communities with sufficient knowhow and understanding of selecting activities on its own.
- It has been also observed that while preparing the Shelf of Work, not adequate consideration is given to the women and to the disabled. Further, while at implementation stage, generally no special efforts are made to attract women workers or prioritize disabled to work.
- India Rural Development Report, 2012-13, mentions that poor quality of infrastructure is built under MGNREGS due to lack of participatory planning and local technical capacity.
- The standing committee for Rural Development under its Working Group on MGNREGA have also mentioned that findings related to quality, durability and rate of work completion suggest that the problem is not in the design of the Act, but the usefulness of the Scheme is dependent on the strength of its implementation at the field level. Taking up of planned works, relevant to the need of the region and demand of the beneficiaries is also vital for ensuring ownership of assets and their development utility in the long run.
- The need for a simplified Agro-Climatic Zone wise segregated permissible works which can respond to greater location-specific clarity and flexibility has been felt among different stakeholders including community.
In view of the above, TA RDD, PCI is inviting competent consultants / subject experts having professional work experience and understanding of MGNREGA on a single contract basis to indicate interest by accepting this Terms of Reference (ToRs) as under and sharing professional fee for the entire assignment.
The proposed work is intended to strengthen local implementation of MGNREGS, more informed communities and functionaries on permissible works for recommending physical assets under the scheme. The work will also support in generation on evidence and sharing at state level for how better physical assets can be built, with stronger focus on requirements, choices, and usability.
Scope of the Assignment:
- To get a status of ongoing works undertaken under MGNREGA for the state of Bihar in an Agro-Climatic zone -wise manner. The work may involve last 3 years assessment from the NREGA and select climatic zone wise field visits to gather details on the works undertaken.
- Provide a summarized report with evidence on status and usability of assets and rural infrastructure created at the individual household and community under MGNREGS. Also, suggest suitable mechanisms to ensure sustainable use of created assets under MGNREGS.
- Identification of permissible works that may be considered for Shelf of Work but not undertaken so far, identifying possible reasons for the same.
- Identification of gender-specific shelf of potential works in an agroclimatic zone wise manner for Bihar with rationale?
- Identification of a separate Shelf of Work for persons with disability (PwD) based on types of disability. Also, suggest regarding creating provisions and benefits for PWD under MGNREGS.
- Compilation of select best practices which can be replicated in Bihar.
- Suggesting pilots within permissible work for TA RDD learning and immersion blocks, Dobhi in Gaya and Jainagar in Madhubani based on people capacity and resources.
- Considering waterlogged areas of North Bihar, suggesting scope of work, which may be considered by the Gram Panchayats for the making of the labour budget.
Outputs and Deliverables
- The consultant will submit the draft report to PCI. Based on the comments of the stakeholders including BRDS and JEEViKA, will finalise it and submit the final version.
- PCI may also consider organizing one roundtable meeting with different stakeholders to receive feedback and firming up recommendations provided in the report.
- Apart from report, the consultant should come up with findings, good practices emerging from implementation, recommendations regarding specific actions that might be taken to improve the implementation of MGNREGS in the state of Bihar.
- The consultant may like to suggest dissemination strategy for the outcome of the study.
The outputs expected are as under:
- Inception Report detailing the Study design and methodology within the scope of the assignment – within 7 days of signing the contract for approval and acceptance by TA RDD, PCI.
- Undertaking field visits, stakeholder interactions, secondary research, data analysis, and submission of draft report – within 6 weeks of signing the contract.
- Final report comprising case studies, evidence, observations, good practices emerging from implementation, assessments, and recommendations and incorporating suggestions of stakeholders – within 90 days of signing the contract.
- Final power point presentation and covering the findings of the study and dissemination of the Report.
In addition, the final report should contain the following annexures:
- Terms of Reference
- Itinerary (actual)
- List of meetings attended
- List of persons interviewed
- List of documents reviewed
- List of websites reviewed
- Any other relevant material
The progress and contract reviews will be weekly until the end of the contract.
Mode of payment
The release of payment based on identified deliverables will be process as per below:
- On submission and acceptance of Inception Report – 20% of agreed amount of contract.
- On submission and approval of Draft report – 50% of agreed amount of contract.
- On submission and approval of Final report – 30% of agreed amount of contract.
It may be noted that the consultant will deliver against the milestones, outputs, as identified in the TOR; and the reporting will be against results and outputs rather than inputs.
Qualification & Experience:
The consultant interested in undertaking this assignment needs to have the following qualification and skills:
- Postgraduate degree from a recognized university with strong professional background in MGNREGA and State Rural Livelihood Mission projected with a minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Up-to-date knowledge MGNREGA Act, implementation guidelines, policies and features with sound understanding on implementation.
- Strong writing and communication skills in English and Hindi. Proficiency in oral Hindi and other local languages of Bihar will be an added advantage.
- Good Computer literacy of at least MS Word, Power Point Presentation, and Excel. The consultant is expected to carry his own computer and other equipment.
- Comfortable with travelling in rural pockets of Bihar.
Interested candidates can apply for the position by 6th August,2022,10:00 pm by sharing application on firstname.lastname@example.org
The CV of expert need to be submitted along with proposal covering technical and financial details. The proposal shall include a draft methodology along with a plan to carry out the assignment in a phase wise manner (A & B) and financial offer separately for each phase.
PCI India is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability and/or marital status
Female candidates are encouraged to apply